People suffering illness often face financial difficulties. Suddenly, household bills become overwhelming; utilities are in jeopardy of being shut-off or an eviction notice is received. The Rainy Day Fund provides emergency payments directly to the utility companies and landlords, ensuring that each patient has a warm, safe place to call home while recovering.
The Rainy Day Fund also provides grocery gift cards & hospital transportation and parking costs. Shine Through The Rain also reviews special requests for consideration above and beyond the scope of services already covered.
The Rainy Day Fund is a monthly program that works directly with your social worker. They will work with you and your family to complete the application and to include the additional documentation needed.
*All Applications are due on the 15th of each month.
If you are interested in applying for funding through the Rainy Day Fund, here are a few guidelines to consider. A full set of instructions will accompany the actual application.
- The Rainy Day Fund is a monthly distribution program.
- Deadline for applications is the 15th day of each month.
- All patients must be currently receiving active treatment to qualify for consideration.
- A maximum of $1,000 may be approved per family, per year.
- You can apply for funding to help with transportation, rent, utility, phone costs, and to get a grocery card.
- Transportation is defined as parking, taxi, bus, and train expenses. Please provide proof of original receipts and record of appointments which must correspond to the date on the original receipts. STTRF reserves the right to reimburse for transportation expenses for the current year and up to January of the following year.
- Only utility and rental fee bills 30 days overdue will be considered. A utility request is defined as a heating, electrical or water bill.
- Cell phone bills are NOT eligible for funding unless it is the ONLY phone being used in the home. Cable payments, mortgage payments, car payments, insurance or tax bills and medical payments are not eligible for funding.
- Copies of all bills or rental agreements being requested must be submitted with application.
A brief narrative describing the patient’s situation and the family’s need must be included and written by the social worker or hospital personnel.
- If the application is approved, cheque(s) will be made payable to each utility company and mailed directly to the family on or before the last day of each month.